Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why Steve Smith?


Steve Smith of the New York Giants recently accepted a one year offer to play for the Philadelphia Eagles. He had a horrific knee injury last season and will likely be in a very limited role for the Eagles this season thus why the Giants had a lack of interest in signing him long term. However, despite the Giants never doing any harm to him, Smith is now talking trash about the team. This hits me hard as Steve Smith was probably my favorite player on the Giants and now I pretty much have no choice but to dislike him.

Smith recently told reporters, "I used to hate the Eagles, now I don't like the Giants." He went on further to state how the Giants had 2 ½ weeks to resign him but didn’t make him an offer that he apparently found worthy of his services. Now I understand that ESPN New York is making this out like the Giants screwed over Smith (because they never defend any New York franchise) but the reality of the situation is that Smith screwed himself over.

Steve Smith turned down a multi-year extension that the Giants offered him during the middle of last season that would have made him a very rich man and then had a knee injury that will probably limit his value the rest of his career. He then goes and doesn’t reply to the Giants contract offer and signs with their arch-rivals. How exactly are the Giants the bad guys in this situation? They were supposed to offer a multi-year deal to a guy coming off career threatening knee surgery? The Eagles sure didn't do that.

So while I loved what Steve Smith did on the field for the Giants, I’m a little ticked off at how he handled this situation. This is the last guy I would expect this kind of stuff from considering he always just kept his mouth shut and played football. It's just a very disappointing situation coming from a guy who I know Giants fans liked and had a lot of respect for. I'm just confused to why he would talk trash to reporters regarding this situation. Way to go from a classy guy to classless in a few weeks Steve Smith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment